Your Local Councils: Who Does What

To the average person on the street, the structure of local government can be quite bewildering. In an ideal world public services would be provided by one organisation, but the reality is much more complicated.  There are different types of council – Parish; Town; District; Borough; County; and Unitary.


EXMOUTH TOWN COUNCIL (Tel: 01395 276167; provides local amenities for people who live and work in Exmouth and those visiting the Town, including:

Allotments; Bus Shelters; Gorfin Hall; Jubilee Clock Tower; Local Grants; Magnolia Kiosk; and Consultation on Neighbourhood Planning

The money collected through council tax is distributed across a number of local public organisations. EAST DEVON DISTRICT COUNCIL (Tel: 01395 516551; collects council tax and uses 8% of this to pay for services including refuse collection and kerbside recycling, housing, planning, street cleaning and leisure, including:

Planning (

Recycling and Rubbish (

Council Tax (

Licencing (

Benefits and Support (

Environmental Maintenance (

Building Control (

Cemeteries (

Community Safety (

Countryside (

Elections and Registering to Vote (

Environment (

Homelessness (

Food Hygiene and Safety (

Housing (

Noise (

Parking (

Gardens and Recreation (

Pest Control (

Public Toilets (

Regeneration (

Seaside (

The Police and Crime Commissioner for Devon and Cornwall use 11% of council to provide law and order and crime reduction.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Authority uses 5% of council tax to provide fire prevention and fire and rescue services.

DEVON COUNTY COUNCIL (Tel: 0345 155 1015; uses 74% of council tax to provide education, roads, care for older people and people with disabilities, child protection, youth services, libraries, recycling centres and waste disposal.  Devon County Council is responsible for providing the services below:

Adult social care (

Adult social services (

Abnormal loads (

Adopted roads and highways (

Adoption (

Archives (

Asbestos removal (

Blue badge for disabled parking (

Bridges (

Carers support (

Child protection (

Children social services (

Citizenship (

Civil partnership (

Community transport (

Concessionary bus fares scheme (The National Bus Pass)


Cycle Devon (

Dangerous structures and walls (

Devon Access Wallet (

Devon registration service (register births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships,

citizenship, gender recognition) (

Family support (

Fly­posting and unauthorised signs (

Fostering (

Grass verges (

Highways maintenance (

Independent living (

Libraries (

Local studies (

Made in Devon scheme (

Manholes and drain covers (

Mineral extraction, mining and quarrying (

Mobile libraries (

Park and Ride (

Pavements (footway) maintenance (

Pedestrian crossings (

Potholes (

Public rights of way (

Public transport (

Residential homes (

Road cleaning (

Road gritting (

Road works (

Safeguarding adults (

Safeguarding children (

Schools (

Snow clearance (

Strategic planning (

Street lights (

Trading standards (

Traffic management (

Wheels to work (

Wildlife guidelines (

Youth offending team (

Youth service (