The government has published ‘The Code of Recommended Practice for Local Authorities on Data Transparency’ which requires parish councils which have a gross annual income or expenditure (whichever is the higher) of a least £200,000 to publish ‘Public Data’.

The Government has implemented this Code of Practice for local authorities to provide greater transparency of public bodies, which is at the heart of their mandate to enable greater democratic accountability over how council tax and public money is spent. However, Public Data does not include personal information as this would contravene the Data Protection Act 1998. In accordance with the Code of Recommended Practice Exmouth Town Council makes the following information available.

For more information about the Code of Recommended Practice for Local Authorities on Data Transparency please visit

Information published quarterly

Expenditure exceeding £500

Our Schedule of Payments is reported quarterly.

Procurement Information

Details of invitations to tender for contracts to provide goods and/or services (including contracts for staff who are employed via consultancy firms or similar agencies) with a value that exceeds £5,000 will be published here. There are currently none.

Details of contracts (including contracts for staff who are employed via consultancy firms or similar agencies), commissioned activity, purchase order, framework agreement and any other legally enforceable agreement with a value that exceeds £5,000.

Information published annually

Local authority land

A list of the buildings and public land under the control of the Town Council can be downloaded in Word format here.

Alternatively, a PDF version of the buildings and public land under control of the Town Council list can be found here.

Grants to the Voluntary, Community, and Social Enterprise Sector

The Town Council sets aside a budget each year to support local organisations.  All requests for Financial Assistance should be made using the Town Council Grant Application Forms.   No other form of request will be considered.

List of organisations which benefited from grants during 2019/20.

Organisation Chart

The Town Council currently employs 12 members of staff headed up by the Town Clerk.   An organisational chart of the staff structure can be viewed here.   There are currently no vacancies within the Town Council.

Senior Salaries

The Local Government Transparency Code requires local authorities to publish details (including job descriptions, responsibilities, budgets and staff numbers) of any senior employees earning over £50,000 per annum. Local authorities must also publish the pay multiple, defined as the ratio between the highest paid taxable earnings for the given year and the median earnings figure of the whole of the authority’s workforce.
Exmouth Town Council has no staff member earning over £50,000 per annum.

Pay Multiple

Exmouth Town Council’s pay multiple as at 1 April 2020 is 1.76.

Members allowances

Exmouth Town Council pays an annual allowance to all councillors who wish to claim it. The level of the parish basic allowance is based on the recommendations of the principal council’s (East Devon District Council) independent remuneration panel. Decisions on these matters are determined under the Local Authorities (Members’ Allowances) (England) Regulations.

The special responsibility allowance and basic allowance payable is based on a percentage of district councillor allowances as follows:

10 per cent of the district council basic allowance (Chairman)
7 per cent of the district council basic allowance (Member)

The District Council basic allowance is £4,360 per annum so this translates into £436 per annum for the Chairman (£36.33 per month) and £305.20 per annum for Members (£25.43 per month).

Members can also claim mileage and parking costs if they are attending meetings which are called by the Council or attending meetings of other bodies at which Members are representing the Council.

Allowances paid to members for the financial year ending March 31st 2020 can be viewed here.

Local Authority Accounts: A Guide To Your Rights

A guide by the National Audit Officer