A new parents support group, youth summer activities, a safe retreat for veterans and a fun day out to tackle loneliness…
These were just some of the community projects pitched to the Exmouth community at a Dragons Den style event at the Town Hall.
Exmouth Town Council is distributing a community grant fund of £20,000 and wanted the local community to vote for their favourite projects that should get the cash. With almost £4,500 of funding remaining from Devon County Council and East Devon District Council through last year’s Communities Together Fund, Exmouth Town Council took the decision to add to this pot to deliver this very successful event again.
‘It was a great event’ said Town Councillor and Mayor, Steve Gazzard, who chaired the Dragons Panel. ‘ The community groups presented their projects to the Dragons Panel and an invited audience of almost 100 Exmouth people and were asked to vote their top 5 projects for funding. There were great projects supporting parents of children with mental health and special needs, emotional wellbeing and mental health, sports and physical exercise as well as youth summer activities, early learning and breast feeding. There’s a lot going on in Exmouth!’
The top 5 projects were ‘Esteem’s new support group for parents, the newly set up Littleham Youth Group, Veterans Calvert Trust weekend, Welcome Centre’s day trip and Exmouth Library’s new STEAM activities.
Councillor Gazzard added, “Exmouth is a vibrant community and we are very lucky to have so many residents who freely give their time to run the town’s many community groups. These groups are run by the community and so it’s right that Exmouth residents should have a say on who benefits from funding. This event was a great idea and I hope to see more events like this in the future.”
- Esteem Team CIC – awarded £3,000
- Littleham Youth Club – awarded £3,000
- Veterans Community Support East Devon (VCS) – awarded £1,200
- The Welcome Centre – awarded £765
- Exmouth Library – awarded £2,225
- Down Syndrome Association – awarded £245
- Park Run – awarded £2,000
- 299 (Exmouth) Squadron (ATC) Air Training Corps Civilian Committee – awarded £1,000
- Health and Local Food for Families (HALFF) – awarded £1,000
- Withycombe Raleigh C of E Primary School – awarded £1,120
- DYS Space (Exmouth) – awarded £1,600
- Dangerous Dads CIC – awarded £595
- Bosom Buddies – awarded £1,500
- Exmouth Rowing Club – awarded £750