20th September 2018
Voluntary and community groups, community interest companies and charities can now apply to the fund
Almost £31,000 is now available for Exmouth community projects through the Exmouth Community Fund. Voluntary and community groups, community interest companies and registered charities can now apply for funding from this grant pot.
The fund money has been given by East Devon District and Devon County Councils. For every elector in the district, East Devon has put 10p into the grant pot and Devon County Council put forward £1.
As with all funds, there are certain criteria that applicants need to be aware of:
- Projects where a significant proportion, or all of the benefit is to Exmouth and its residents.
- Applications are welcome from community projects identifying new ideas, benefiting, enhancing and making a difference to the community.
- Grants are for both capital (one-off costs of a permanent item, structure etc) and / or one-off revenue costs (temporary items, events, start-up costs, costs of a time-limited project etc.). Can include one-off staff costs / time-limited project staff costs.
- All grant money awarded must realistically be able to be spent and claimed within 12 months of receiving a grant offer letter.
- Grant applications can be submitted for a maximum of £5,000 and a minimum of £250.
- A minimum of 20% of the total costs of a project must be funded from other sources. For example, for a project that costs £1,000 in total, a maximum of £800 can be applied for with a minimum of £200 being match-funded from elsewhere to pay for the project.
The closing date for all applications is midnight on 2nd January 2019. Any applications received after this will not be taken forward and will be returned to you. The fund is confirmed for this year only. Decisions on applications will be made at a special Exmouth Community Funding event to be held on Thursday 21st February 2019; all eligible applicants must attend.
Applicants should be aware that all projects will be considered carefully but not all will be funded.
Applicants need to give a short presentation to pitch for their funding, in the same manner as the popular TV show “Dragons’ Den”. The Town Council will arrange to provide help and guidance to groups needing assistance in preparing presentations to bid for funds.
A panel consisting of two Councillors from Exmouth Town Council, East Devon District Council or Devon County Council, and two Officers with some funding knowledge will ask a few questions pertaining to how well the project meets the fund aims.
Everyone attending the event will at the end be asked to vote for the projects they would most like to receive the funding. They’ll be able to choose several projects, depending on how many eligible applications are received. The projects with the most votes will be granted the funding they’ve asked for. All applicants will be informed simultaneously on the day the outcome of their application.
Councillor Jeff Trail, Mayor of Exmouth and Devon County Councillor said:
“With more and more community groups struggling to obtain funding, it is really great that we can work with Devon County Council and East Devon District Council to provide this valuable opportunity to the community of Exmouth.
We have been given this fantastic opportunity to help make a difference in Exmouth and enhance our lives and I would urge all eligible groups to consider what projects they have in mind that would help us meet these goals.”